2 Mar 2011

Artist 73: Megan Piontkowski

Louise Bourgeois

Astronaut Mark Kelly's Dilemma

Sno-N-Salt
(for an article about how salt put down on streets can cause manhole covers to blow off)

 Lone Bagpiper

John Boehner Cautiously Sips His Tea

From the US of A its the wonderful Megan Piontkowski. The talented artist turned illustrator beguiles us with her gentle yet insistent style. She has a careful and considered touch that ensures her delicate work is concise in the visual information she conveys. Little by little the viewer is coaxed into her work and gets to enjoy a certain subtlety that belies her fine art roots. She has that classic illustrative look to her work with her use of minimal lines and naive yet planned characterisation. Its great that she can comfortably roll into illustration and switch her visual communication style from the intricate and introverted world of fine art to the open palms and wide smile of illustration. She will definitely be one to watch, as she has that way of grabbing the now, in illustration and serving it up in a new and delicate way. Wishing her the best of luck it's multifaceted Megan Piontkowski!


Who are you:
Megan Piontkowski, artist and illustrator living and working in Brooklyn, NY


What do you do:
I make fabric sculptures, artists books, and I most recently participated in the online residency project 365 Days of Print in which 10 artists a month read and interpret the news in print and post their work online every day. I am happy to be one of the first artists to participate in this wonderful project. I will also be showing my blue striped ger (a Mongolian tent) in a group show in Atlanta, GA in the fall.


How did you start: 
I have always made art, and I have my MFA in drawing and painting, but it wasn't until recently that I decided to become an illustrator. My 2D work has always had an illustration feel to it, so stylistically it has been a fairly easy transition into the world of illustration.

A Personal statement about you or your work:
I received my MFA in drawing and painting from Brooklyn College in 2006. My artists books, fabric sculptures and installations have been exhibited at venues including Smack Mellon Gallery in New York, The Walsh Gallery at Seton Hall University, Redsaw Gallery in Newark, and as a part of the ArtNow Fair in Miami with Repetti Gallery. During the month of January I was one of the first artists to participate in the online residency project 365 Days of Print in which 10 artists a month read and interpret the news in print and post their work on the 365 Days of Print blog every day.

My 2D work has always had the "look" of illustration, but it wasn't until recently that I decided to actually become an illustrator (as another one of my day jobs). Thus far, I am really enjoying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment