7 May 2012

Artist 139: Maria Herreros


We have another artist feature for you now, lucky for us we have the lovely Maria Herreros with her unique and characterful illustration. Maria started out at six with a mercurial instinct and a pocket full of crayons and her love of drawing has strengthened over time. She has a great and instantly recognisable style that not only showcases an epic talent for capturing the essence of her subject but also gives the viewer a great sense of life and animation. Her faces are expressive and have a real joy to their expression. She creates some great likenesses utilising obvious mechanical skill but she takes this and twists it through her own lens. She has a unique sense of composition that gives a great candid feel to her subjects backed up by her soft warm palettes. Maria brings us a distilled version of her subjects that have a wry gentle sense of fun and both compliment them and give the viewer a new perspective. We are really lucky to have her so please give Maria Herreros your support and check out her interview!

Who are you:
I am Maria herreros, an illustrator based in Valencia, Spain, but open to the whole world! 

What do you do:
Work my ass off as an illustrator.

How did you start:
When I was 6, I realised I had to to sell my work to my parents (business is business, no family there) so they would appreciate it, so I used a pseudonym, "Mariasso" (a mix between Maria and Picasso). They always bought them, but then, after a few days I used to find them stored in drawers. I took them out and sell them again (higher price), so I suppose, I started working as an illustrator at 6.

A Personal statement about you or your work: 
I am very open to any project or proposal that passionates me, when it is work. There is no frontier nor barrier for me, when it is doing what I do. Only thing I dont like about this profession is people not realising its a profession. Now I am preparing my first commissioned book, illustrating for publications, and exhibiting my work national and internationally.

Links:


1 comment: