1 Oct 2010

Artist 28: Miss Pearl Grey







Its Miss Pearl Grey, owner of the fantastic Pearl Grey Illustration, with talent in abundance and a love of all things creative this crafty comic illustrator, poet and propmaker has a wicked sense of humour and a fantastic eye for detail. Her work has a truthfulness and this gives it a real depth and wittiness, with her realistic yet light hearted take on the world there is both an excellent eye and a clever mind at work. Her work is somehow literary and seems to engage the viewer in a conversation as well as give a visual feast for the eyes. There is a lot too her work and to this multifaceted girl too, so please read about her here!


Who are you:
Hello! My name is Kellie Black, alias 'Miss Pearl Grey'!

What do you do:
I am a freelance illustrator and the sole proprietor of Pearl Grey Illustration! I draw, make props and puppets, and generally co-ordinate lots of varied creative endeavours both for myself and other people who need my help. I'm also a dab hand at rhyming poetry too. But that's another story. Or poem.

How did you start:
I've always drawn, right from the age of 2 or so when I would sit and sketch with my Grandmother (who is also an artist). I also became very interested in making miniatures as a child. One of my earliest drawings was a Tramp with six fingers on each hand, but I remember so vividly drawing his fingerless gloves- painstakingly applying little dots to the aged wool! I'm not sure why I didn't stop to count my own digits, though. After years of receiving 2 and 3d commissions from friends of friends etc, I decided to take the plunge and do a degree in Illustration. I haven't really looked back from there! It still amazes me a little bit that I can get paid to do what I love but I am not sure that feeling will ever fully wear off.

A Personal statement about you or your work:
I would hope people would view my work as lighthearted, mischievous and with a dollop of humour.

No comments:

Post a Comment